Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Birth of Kierabel!

Kierabel Designs first got its' start in 2002 when my daughter Annabel was born. I was hooked on the trendy Mothers' bracelets at the time, but couldn't find one funky enough to suit my style, nor inexpensive enough that I would actually part with the cash to pay for it - especially since I was anticipating adding to the family, making this bracelet obsolete before too long! With much encouragement from my hubby, I decided to try to make my own. It was a hit! Before long my friends wanted their own - each designed for their own tastes - some with birthstones, many liking the funky hematite design I favoured. In 2004, my son Kieran was born, and most of my friends were having their second - sometimes third! - children as well. A whole new market had emerged! Adding on nursing necklaces for my acrobatic boy was a natural extension! By 2006 I had more jewellery than I could wear and decided to start a storefront on etsy (www.squidgeaboo.etsy.com) to sell some of the things I was producing. I still sell most of my things directly to people who ask me, and I still make gifts of a lot of my items, but the idea of making enough money to keep myself in beads is all that I'm after! I'm sure you've guessed the name Kierabel comes from my kids - Kieran and Annabel, my two best co-creations ever!

No comments: